Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Top 5 mistakes made when building a community (with SocialEngine)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Subhani

Subhani

Level 3

• Members
  • Level
  • 33 points
  • 78 posts
    • Software:SE 4.7.x

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

Basically all the Information piked up from the webhive website, You can see this and it is most important for Secial Engine users.

Our team helps to build community websites for more than 4 years already. We have seen a lot of successes and failures during this time. Failures were caused by different reasons, but popular mistakes are pretty similar. Here is our list of top 5.

1. Lack of focus

This is probably the most popular mistake if a new community has more than 15+ modules installed and dozen of links in main menu. A lot of people try to compete with Facebook by offering a numerous features, but even Facebook was started with basic features only.

Successful niche communities are focused, especially on the start. Don’t add plugin unless it's absolutely essential for your niche. Try not to use similar plugins that do basically the same thing. All modules should work together not against each other. It’s easier to add another plugin or section than to get the most out of available functionality. But it’s a wrong approach.

2. No proper planning

Every community website should have a clear purpose. It can:

a. Bring profits - by offering premium accounts, affiliate sales, direct sales, advertisements, etc.

b. Reduce number of support requests. Users in active community usually help each other to solve common problems.

c. Increase brand loyalty (and thus increasing sales).

d. Fulfill a mission (non-profit organizations).

It's impossible to track the effectiveness of community and plan development without any clear purpose.

3. Too much focus on functionality

Some cool ajax effects or interesting layout look great, but they won't make your community popular. People don’t join a forum because it offers more smileys in editor or some javascript animation when you add a friend. Community should offer some value for members - interesting discussions, articles or media. If budget is limited - concentrate on content and community building rather than additional functionality.

4. Wrong expectations about new users

"I'll build a useful community with cool features and people will come". Unfortunately they won't.

Often if there is no other marketing plan than world of mouth community gets about 300 members and signups stop. It’s important to have plan B and effectively take advantage of every member you get. You will be surprised to find out how people actually use your community. Initial plan may shift or evolve into something new. Listen to your users.

5. No community building

Community can't live on its own. And no, community building does not mean posting funny images or videos few time a day.

It's important to initiate discussions, feature interesting content on home page, welcome new members and ask for feedback. Don’t concentrate on number of members, but rather on participation level. It’s better to have a core of 20+ active members than 1000 of inactive users.

I really hope this article will help people who plan to create a community to avoid popular problems.

If you are looking for nice plugins and themes for SocialEngine check our store http://webhive.com.ua/store/.

Visite my Web click here

I Love ALLAHA & Prophet Muhammad(SAW)

#2 Salman

Salman

Red Team Sierra 1

• Administrators
  • Level
  • 3,342 points
  • 6,256 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for your great tips, much appreciated of posting such stuff here on SEF

Few things i would add in it, use of CSS/JS compressor (known as minify plugin) causes many issues in your Social Engine Website

Use only few plugin in your website, CometChat as for chatting module (its slow but still worth it)

Donot use Official Chat Plugin of Social Engine even if you have dedicated server

Dissallow video uploads to server

Quality Template with efficient CSS helps you make your site load faster

Thank You
click this if you want to +1rep my post Posted Image if you found its quality work

#3 Joelster

Joelster

Level 2

• Members
  • Level
  • 17 points
  • 37 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for your great tips, much appreciated of posting such stuff here on SEF

Few things i would add in it, use of CSS/JS compressor (known as minify plugin) causes many issues in your Social Engine Website

Use only few plugin in your website, CometChat as for chatting module (its slow but still worth it)

Donot use Official Chat Plugin of Social Engine even if you have dedicated server

Dissallow video uploads to server

Quality Template with efficient CSS helps you make your site load faster

Thank You

Should we allow video upload to server, if we have a dedicated server? Or a few dedicated servers? :)

#4 Subhani

Subhani

Level 3

• Members
  • Level
  • 33 points
  • 78 posts
    • Software:SE 4.7.x

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Yes This is possible, if you have few servers and they are fast so you can use this opiton but keep in mind this feature will use a lot of space of your servers, so if you really want to use this and wnt to get a good server then i recommded "NGINX" , i am using "NGINX" server with 96GB Ram and my site running very fats also i have installed some plugins and i modify my css for attrection.

Visite my Web click here

I Love ALLAHA & Prophet Muhammad(SAW)

#5 Lektzz

Lektzz

Level 1

• Members
  • Level
  • 0 points
  • 6 posts
    • Software:SE 4.8.x

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Thank you guys for your suggestions, I really apreciate them :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

All the resources listed here are just for testing purpose and they shouldn't be used at any commercial environment without a valid license.
Those are for users who wants to try them before buy. Help the developer to build it better by purchasing them from original authors.