Photo
- - - - -

A subject not touched on about Installation, thoughts & maybe pin for all to see

Install Installation Social Engine 4 Social Engine PHP Social Engine Permissions 777 Permissions 777 SE4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 poeticjustice

poeticjustice

Level 4

• Members
  • Level
  • 82 points
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hi All,

I sent this following message to Social Engine, i expect they will want money just to answer my question.
So thought this may be a great place to ask, open to discussion, as i feel it has never been touched on.

The big question that has NEVER been touched on.

It is said in the documentation that the following have to be set to file permission 777 (Unix Server)

/install/config
/temporary
/public
/application/themes
/application/packages
/application/languages
/application/settings/

Now my question here is this..... When files unzipped on server, i change the following to 777 reclusive. Then I begin the install.... Now for something never ever mentioned, I installed SE4 forum and events plugin, some of the files go into the above folder, but the permission for those files is 644, this is same with 3rd party plugins, they go in some the folders above also as permission 644.
My question is this, after i install these files, should i go back to my server and reapply 777 permission to all the folders again, so all new plugins are 777 also.

Be great to hear thoughts

Edited by poeticjustice, 11 January 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Les likes this

#2 Les

Les

Blue Team Lima 1

• Moderators
  • Level
  • 5,156 points
  • 3,447 posts
    • Software:SE 5.x

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

Hi All,

I sent this following message to Social Engine, i expect they will want money just to answer my question.
So thought this may be a great place to ask, open to discussion, as i feel it has never been touched on.

The big question that has NEVER been touched on.

It is said in the documentation that the following have to be set to file permission 777 (Unix Server)

/install/config
/temporary
/public
/application/themes
/application/packages
/application/languages
/application/settings/

Now my question here is this..... When files unzipped on server, i change the following to 777 reclusive. Then I begin the install.... Now for something never ever mentioned, I installed SE4 forum and events plugin, some of the files go into the above folder, but the permission for those files is 644, this is same with 3rd party plugins, they go in some the folders above also as permission 644.
My question is this, after i install these files, should i go back to my server and reapply 777 permission to all the folders again, so all new plugins are 777 also.

Be great to hear thoughts

Here is the answer.

You are supposed to make changes of chmod 777 right after initial install of SocialEngine core not including Addon modules like Forums, Albums, Events, Blogs, etc. When you do this, the index.html file in "/temporary/package/archives/" is always set to chmod 777, if you check. Now, what I do moving forward after initial install is, I go back to the following folder and follow same principle as SE4 initial install with "ALL' my modules setting them to chmod 777 because they do not automatically do it for: "/languages/" and "/package/" folders so all new installs that are .csv and .json need to be checked to make sure they are set to chmod 777 just like all the rest. Follow these instructions/procedures always for any/all new module installs and everything will work better and is one potential issue that you have already eliminated. THANKS!

Edited by Les, 11 January 2016 - 09:56 PM.

:emo: Please don't forget to  27-AwardsImgIcon.png "LIKE" if you like this post or if it is helpful to you. This is a way to show gratitude for the help that you received. After all, the "LIKE" costs you nothing. Don't you agree? Also, any and all modules, plug-ins, themes, widgets, or DB entries that are shared or posted by me are for educational purposes. Please visit the developers websites and purchase legitimately, if you like them. Thanks, Les

socialengine-experts.png

#3 poeticjustice

poeticjustice

Level 4

• Members
  • Level
  • 82 points
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

Here is the answer.

You are supposed to make changes of chmod 777 right after initial install of SocialEngine core not including Addon modules like Forums, Albums, Events, Blogs, etc. When you do this, the index.html file in "/temporary/package/archives/" is always set to chmod 777, if you check. Now, what I do moving forward after initial install is, I go back to the following folder and follow same principle as SE4 initial install with "ALL' my modules setting them to chmod 777 because they do not automatically do it for: "/languages/" and "/package/" folders so all new installs that are .csv and .json need to be checked to make sure they are set to chmod 777 just like all the rest. Follow these instructions/procedures always for any/all new module installs and everything will work better and is one potential issue that you have already eliminated. THANKS!

Hiya Thanks for the reply

So your saying do the install first, then login via ftp and apply these changes?
Its just on Social Engines site, it says make 777 reclusive to them folders prior to seeing the whole install takes place.

And i think what your saying is what i was getting at, am i right?
That once new plugin is installed, go back to ftp and apply 777 reclusive to following folders and contents

/install/config
/temporary
/public
/application/themes
/application/packages
/application/languages
/application/settings/
And do this each time a new plugin is installed.

I noticed also, soon as i put the site in maintenance mode it creates a php file for maintenance mode that if you open it shows the maintenance mode password, but social engine makes this file permission 644, is that safe to make 777, its located in /application/settings/ file name general.php
it also creates a database.php file of 644 permission in same location displaying password, mysql database name and mysql username

• Les likes this

#4 Les

Les

Blue Team Lima 1

• Moderators
  • Level
  • 5,156 points
  • 3,447 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

Hiya Thanks for the reply

So your saying do the install first, then login via ftp and apply these changes?
Its just on Social Engines site, it says make 777 reclusive to them folders prior to seeing the whole install takes place.

And i think what your saying is what i was getting at, am i right?
That once new plugin is installed, go back to ftp and apply 777 reclusive to following folders and contents

/install/config
/temporary
/public
/application/themes
/application/packages
/application/languages
/application/settings/
And do this each time a new plugin is installed.

I noticed also, soon as i put the site in maintenance mode it creates a php file for maintenance mode that if you open it shows the maintenance mode password, but social engine makes this file permission 644, is that safe to make 777, its located in /application/settings/ file name general.php
it also creates a database.php file of 644 permission in same location displaying password, mysql database name and mysql username

Yes, exactly. I have been doing it this way for four years with minimal problems. Problems that have nothing to do with installation or chmod settings, .css problems conflicting with other developer modules.

:emo: Please don't forget to  27-AwardsImgIcon.png "LIKE" if you like this post or if it is helpful to you. This is a way to show gratitude for the help that you received. After all, the "LIKE" costs you nothing. Don't you agree? Also, any and all modules, plug-ins, themes, widgets, or DB entries that are shared or posted by me are for educational purposes. Please visit the developers websites and purchase legitimately, if you like them. Thanks, Les

socialengine-experts.png

#5 poeticjustice

poeticjustice

Level 4

• Members
  • Level
  • 82 points
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:31 AM

Yes, exactly. I have been doing it this way for four years with minimal problems. Problems that have nothing to do with installation or chmod settings, .css problems conflicting with other developer modules.

Thanks for help matey, this has helped.
It was a piece of info i couldnt quiet find, and wanted to touch upon it incase helped others too.

I had emailed James Clarke the ceo of SE, as always been helpful, but he taken too long to reply, so thank god for this forum

Dont get me started with css problems of 3rd party plugins, having nothing but MAJOR issues with SEAddons at moment..... its unbelievable

#6 Les

Les

Blue Team Lima 1

• Moderators
  • Level
  • 5,156 points
  • 3,447 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for help matey, this has helped.
It was a piece of info i couldnt quiet find, and wanted to touch upon it incase helped others too.

I had emailed James Clarke the ceo of SE, as always been helpful, but he taken too long to reply, so thank god for this forum

Dont get me started with css problems of 3rd party plugins, having nothing but MAJOR issues with SEAddons at moment..... its unbelievable

You are welcome! Now build something incredible!!! :)

socialengine-experts.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Install, Installation, Social Engine 4, Social Engine PHP, Social Engine, Permissions, 777, Permissions 777, SE4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

All the resources listed here are just for testing purpose and they shouldn't be used at any commercial environment without a valid license.
Those are for users who wants to try them before buy. Help the developer to build it better by purchasing them from original authors.