#1 sakume

sakume

Basic Developer

• Banned
  • Level 4
  • 86 points
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

I already know the pros and cons of using SocialEngine, but I want to know from those of you who've experimented with PHPFox. What was it's ups and downs?

(Social Network software I've used thus far: PHPIzabi, SocialEngine, Xoops with Yogurt, BuddyPress, reSocial, BooxEX/Dolphin... So far SE's beaten all of them).

What's you're take on PHPFox?

Edited by sakume, 07 September 2010 - 03:09 AM.

If at first you don't succeed, wait until someone has it right and gank their stuff!

#2 vancity

vancity

Level 2

• Members
  • Level 2
  • 4 points
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

I already know the pros and cons of using SocialEngine, but I want to know from those of you who've experimented with PHPFox. What was it's ups and downs?

(Social Network software I've used thus far: PHPIzabi, SocialEngine, Xoops with Yogurt, BuddyPress, reSocial, BooxEX/Dolphin... So far SE's beaten all of them).

What's you're take on PHPFox?

phpFox code is confusing and harder to customize in my opinion. I've never used it on a live site just played around with it for a while. I think SE is a more solid platform with cleaner written code.

#3 clonex1

clonex1

Pro Developer

• Premium
    • Level 5
    • 406 points
    • 382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

social engine is better
    You can't catch what you can't see.

#4 zoldos

zoldos

Level 6

• Members
    • Level 6
    • 52 points
    • 709 posts
      • Software:SE 3.1x

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:30 AM

I have a live phpfox web site and the main thing I don't like about it is that there doesn't seem to be any plugins. The forums, photo galleries, blogs, etc, are all internal components and lack serious options for customizing. The template system also seems to be lacking as compared to SE. And lastly, there is not nearly as much support for phpfox than for SE...

Still, it was something different than my well established SE site so I may keep it up, or then again, I may replace it with SE 4....
    Be glad you still have your mind...and your soul...

#5 FireBox

FireBox

Home Developer

• Premium
    • Level 4
    • 21 points
    • 143 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

i been searching for this topic for the past 2 months,
    and quite frankly, no one has talked about this since the release of socialengine 4 and phpfox 2,
    both companies have developed a new platform.

from my understanding:SE4vsPF2

Socialengine has very limited administration control comparing to phpfox, i mean, alot!.
    and phpfox supports foreign characters while on socialengine, you can only search with names that are in english,
    On Phpfox, you can lock your blog, prevent unwanted people from reading it.
    Phpfox, also lets your users to sign up without entering a screen name, SE_3 had this option, but they decided to take it away, big mistake!
    also, i noticed, on phpfox, whenever a user updates, and edit his photo, either in album, or in other places, the script automatically deleted the old picture off the system,
    while on social engine, haha good luck with that. i have a user who is almost 2 years old, and his folder contains pictures he uploaded or edited from the past, its about 1G, when on the database only 2Mb of pictures that are actually linking to be alive and accessible, all the rest are waste content.
    not to mention socialengine 4 is very slow, alot of golden features are missing from SE_3.

the only thing good about socialengine right now is its themes, i have to admit they did a good job on making their script looking pretty.

i'm still doing more digging on phpfox, seems like there isnt a nulled forum dedicated to phpfox, maybe i just haven't found it yet, or maybe you guys can start one, just send me a msg, and i'll try to help as much as i can. and now back to understanding phpfox. XD

#6 erasia

erasia

Business Developer

• Members
    • Level 5
    • 35 points
    • 326 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

u can have more user with socialengine version
    I'm not enjoying Zend -.-
    Missing Smarty

#7 FireBox

FireBox

Home Developer

• Premium
    • Level 4
    • 21 points
    • 143 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

i think when it comes down to the end, its just php codes callign database, so i think both system can hold a large amount of users, just socialengine is really bugging me with the features i list above, or else, i'm a die hard SE fan.

#8 sakume

sakume

Basic Developer

• Banned
    • Level 4
    • 86 points
    • 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Right on. Thanks for all the replies guys. I've tinkered with PHPFox, have 20 plugins for it, 4 themes, etc and for the life of me I just can't get myself to break away from SocialEngine. Then again it nearly wrenched my heart out of my chest when I got rid of PHPIzabi for SE to begin with. Thanks for all your input everyone!

I haven't dove into the coding or actual templating system for PHPFox (version 2) that much yet. I'm afraid too due to what I've seen so far of it looking like trashed spaghetti.

Edited by sakume, 07 September 2010 - 03:34 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, wait until someone has it right and gank their stuff!

#9 Sharim

Sharim

Business Developer

• Premium
    • Level 6
    • 210 points
    • 792 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

Well I've never used any other Social Network Scripts but I've visited many local social networks just to explore the feature. So far Social Engine seems to take away all the awards except it's little heavy and takes more time to load the site... 
    Posted Image

Guide to Earn Online In Pakistan:

http://flixya.biz

#10 zoldos

zoldos

Level 6

• Members
    • Level 6
    • 52 points
    • 709 posts
      • Software:SE 3.1x

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

I use both a highly modified version of Social Engine 3.13 and phpFOX 2.05. I like them both, but SE does seem easier to mod, esp. template wise. I'll prolly keep both sites. I was going to replace phpFOX with SE 4 but the more I research it, the more I hear of problems with SE 4....
    Be glad you still have your mind...and your soul...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

All the resources listed here are just for testing purpose and they shouldn't be used at any commercial environment without a valid license.
    Those are for users who wants to try them before buy. Help the developer to build it better by purchasing them from original authors.